[TriLUG] Hardware problem

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Apr 18 12:46:48 EDT 2012

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:25:11 -0400
"Peter Neilson" <neilson at windstream.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:43:06 -0400, Seva Adari <oddissyus at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I have a legacy Redhat linux server that abruptly halts with
> > absolutely no hint of any the problem in any of the logs. ...
>
> I'd reseat any boards that I could pry loose. If that failed, I might
> wave a hammer about, but not actually hit anything.

If you're going to reseat boards, while you're at it treat the
connectors with electronics lubricant. See my article:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200310/200310.htm

And here's what I'm using for all my electronics lubrication:

http://www.blowoff.com/lubejob/electronics_lubricant.html

Not the very best, but IMHO the best combination of quality and price.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Troubleshooters.Com
All facets of troubleshooting training