[TriLUG] Hardware problem

Seva Adari oddissyus at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 20:23:08 EDT 2012

Thanks to all for your suggestions!

>>> I have a legacy Redhat linux server that abruptly halts with
>>> absolutely no hint of any the problem in any of the logs. ...
>>

>> I'd reseat any boards that I could pry loose. If that failed, I might
>> wave a hammer about, but not actually hit anything.
>
> Waving a hammer about is only helpful when you have enough magical
> talent.  If you have the right stuff, it works, otherwise it's a waste
> of time.
>
> Reseating the boards is usually helpful when you've been messing around
> inside the box recently. Prognosis: might help, might not.
>
> Since you replaced the power supply that is not likely to be a problem
> unless you put in a lower capacity one or got a bad one.
>
> On the bad capacitor front, a careful inspection around the base of
> each of them might show corrosion.  It sounds like the board might have
> come from the era when that was a significant problem.  If you find
> that kind of problem, you might as well trash the mo-bo.  Some cards
> also have electrolytic capacitors, so check them also.
>
> Another simple thing to check is the power cord and wall socket.
>
> A bit more difficult to diagnose is a 'brown power' sensitivity.  If it
> does _not_ happen in the early morning (4-6 AM), then that is probably
> not the problem.  If you think it is a likely cause, rent a power line
> monitor.
>
> Also check for CPU over-heating.  Blow the dust out of the CPU cooling
> fins.
>
> Max

Excepting for capacitor level checking, I looked at most other things.
Hardware is not my forte, so I am going with the software solutions,
such as taking its image and bringing it up from a virtualbox host.
If I am forced to deal with the hardware, then I would probably get a
new MB and replace the existing one.