[TriLUG] openvpn questions

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri Apr 20 14:16:02 EDT 2012

> I can ping both 10.8.0.1 and 10.8.0.6 from both client and server, but
> not 10.8.0.2 or 10.8.0.5. What are these unpingable addresses about?

Openvpn works by making point-to-point connections to the clients, and
then routing packets within the openvpn process. So you have set up
endpoints on .1 and .6 . The .2 and .5 addresses are used internally by
the openvpn process.

I am not sure whether these addresses should be pingable or not. But it
took me a long time to figure out why I always had twice the number of
IP addresses in use than I would expect.

--
# ɹǝʇɹoԀ uɐl∀