[TriLUG] May 19 - TriLUG Annual Spring Installfest

Steve Pinkham steve.pinkham at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 13:33:15 EDT 2012

On 04/25/2012 10:44 AM, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012, Jack Hill wrote:
>
>> (although I guess it could be described as political activism since
>> Free software is in part a political movement, but I think activism is
>> frowned on for 501(c)(3)’s.
>
> I think public education is fine. For 501(c)3, politics I think (but
> don't know for sure) is defined as helping getting someone elected.
>
> Joe

Both campaigning for election and lobbying lawmakers for the change of
laws are restricted.  Here's some relevant text on what constitutes
lobbying:

"An organization will be regarded as attempting to influence legislation
if it contacts, or urges the public to contact, members or employees of
a legislative body for the purpose of proposing, supporting, or opposing
legislation, or if the organization advocates the adoption or rejection
of legislation.

Organizations may, however, involve themselves in issues of public
policy without the activity being considered as lobbying.  For example,
organizations may conduct educational meetings, prepare and distribute
educational materials, or otherwise consider public policy issues in an
educational manner without jeopardizing their tax-exempt status."

http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=163392,00.html

As I understand (IANAL, YMMV, etc), you can't spend more than 20% of
your budget or a large portion of your time in an attempt to influence
specific legislation.

In summary, we're quite fine unless we become MUCH more explicitly
political. ;-)

--
 | Steven Pinkham, Security Consultant    |
 | http://www.mavensecurity.com           |