[TriLUG] Ubuntu 12.04 root password reset

Michael Rulison 13miketele at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 30 12:26:33 EDT 2012

I have "upgraded" from Ubuntu 11.10 to 12.04.

This is successful in that I can be a guest on my own system but not my
own username with administrative privileges. At login my former password
(in use for a long time) is rejected.

Searching results in messages advising to open my dual boot Ubuntu/WinXP
in 'recovery' mode and then going to the root shell prompt.

Fine so far, but when I do, it wants wants a password, which is exactly
what I do not have.

If I boot from Ubuntu on a USB drive I am still stuck in the same
problem -- no root password

Suggestions please.