[TriLUG] LVM InitRAMfs

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue May 1 21:25:08 EDT 2012

Folks,

I am in a bit of a conundrum.

I have just finished installing a Debian Squeeze system, using LVM to
configure the drive, and everything seemed to install correctly.

Unfortunately, when I boot the machine, it stops and says that it can't
find the filesystems.

If I issue "lvm vgscan" and "lvm vgchange -a y" at the command prompt (
initramfs: ) and then Ctrl-D, the boot continues successfully.

I have tried "update-initramfs -u" several times, with no improvement.
I then added a two line file to
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-premount, with those two lines. No
help.  I then moved the script file to
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-premount, and got some different
messages, but ultimately, it still does not boot correctly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian