[TriLUG] data center class x86 systems

Jackie Andrason Jackie.Andrason at quintiles.com
Wed May 2 10:09:03 EDT 2012

Hi all,

We are looking at changing out the current x86 systems we use for Oracle databases in our data centers, which run Oracle Linux.  Some are blades and some are standalone systems.  The current model we use has a pretty high hardware failure rate, even though a lot of it is redundant.  Most of these systems are 4X2 or 4X4 core, 256 - 512 GB RAM, with 1G and 10G LAN connections, and all the application data is on NFS, not local disk.

Does anyone have any recommendations on vendors (HP, IBM, Cisco, etc.), models and configurations that are fairly stable as well as redundant hardware-wise?  It would help my research to have some recommendations from folks who have been running these configurations successful for a good length of time.

Thanks so much for your help!

This electronic message, including its attachments, is COMPANY CONFIDENTIAL
and may contain PROPRIETARY or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information.  If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this message or any of the information included
in it is unauthorized and strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and
permanently delete this message and its attachments, along with any copies
thereof. Thank you.