[TriLUG] LVM InitRAMfs

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Thu May 3 08:29:09 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 01:01:35AM -0400, Daniel Sterling wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Brian McCullough <bdmc at bdmcc-us.com> wrote:
> > Unfortunately, when I boot the machine, it stops and says that it can't
> > find the filesystems.
>
> Hmm, you could try running vgmknodes , as noted at
> http://www.voofie.com/content/13/converting-existing-root-filesystem-to-lvm-in-debian/
>
> You might be hitting this bug -
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=568838 - there's a
> patch in that bug report that might fix things

Thank you, Daniel.

I looked at both of these, and, while neither appeared to be exactly
what I was looking for, the second pointed me at a script, lvm2, in
/usr/share/initramfs-tools, that, after some massaging, have got me to
the point where I am now able to reboot this server without manual
attention.  There are some "extra" messages ( warnings, mostly ), but it
does boot.

Thanks again,
Brian