[TriLUG] data center class x86 systems

Boggs, Ted tboggs at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Thu May 3 08:46:57 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Greg Cox <glcox at pobox.com> wrote:

> > The management piece is very compelling though as long as your
> environment isn't too big.
> > One size definitely fits most in their case.
>
> Big is actually where it wins (and I'd say big is anything over 8
> blades).  Up to 160 blades with one point of management (one place to
> hit for OOB, one place to do SNMP on all the drives and cooling and
> other stuff).

Yeah, I was considering big to be hundreds of blades.  I currently manage
400+ between 2 datacenters.  We had to figure out how to do that without
nice tools from Cisco years ago, so we already solved most of the problems
UCS is designed to solve.  Cisco is definitely a x86 server vendor worth
considering.

-Ted