[TriLUG] Screen Recording Software

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Sun May 13 12:33:24 EDT 2012

On Sun, 13 May 2012 11:41:04 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 May 2012 08:14:48 -0400
> Andrew Blum <ajblumx at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Once you get a video recorded, you will probably need to do some
> > post editing.
> >
> > For combining/editing video/audio and for rendering projects I would
> > recommend kdenlive (http://www.kdenlive.org/).  There is a
> > collection of very helpful tutorials available to get you started (
> > http://www.kdenlive.org/tutorial).  I was able to get up and
> > rendering in about 1/2 a day using those tutorials.
>
> Does anyone know of a non-KDE equivalent?

Other ones with a similar interface design (from the standpoint of
someone who dosn’t seriously edit video) are cinelerra and pitivi.
Openshot has a different interface aimed an non-perfessionals.

I reviewed these before when I needed to provide video editing software
for someone who was using film as part of a class and decided that I
liked kdenlive the best (unfortunatly, I can’t find the notes I made at
the time). For kdenlive it’s important to get >=0.8 as there was some
major backend re-working since 0.7.

If you just concating or splitting stuff there are cli scripts as well.

Out of curiosity why are you looking for a non-KDE equivalent? Is
kdelibs too big?

Jack