[TriLUG] Astronomy Days

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Tue May 15 11:00:24 EDT 2012

On Tue, 15 May 2012, Bill Farrow wrote:

> Astronomy Days at the Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh is on this
> weekend.  Last year I volunteered at the NC Nearspace Balloon table,
> where we talked to families and kids about sending stuff into space
> using helium balloons.
>
> http://naturalsciences.org/programs-events/astronomy-days-0
>
> I'm sure we have some astronomy buffs in our group.
>
> If we could arrange for a table at next years Astronomy Days event to
> promote Open Source astronomy software, would TriLUG members be
> willing to man the table in shifts and talk to people about OSS (you
> will get free entry too) ?  This could be a great way to get kids
> excited about OSS because they can take home a disk or URL postcard
> and explore space at home.
>
> Yay or Nay ?

Yay for me (I think; it’s been a while since I’ve done astronomy stuff).
As an alternative/addition we could give a presentation about Free
astronomy software. This is more work, but a year seems like enough time.
We could also use the presentation as TriLUG meeting programming.

Jack -- who thinks he gets more out of presentations than booths.