[TriLUG] Website Marketing question

Michael Kimsal mgkimsal at gmail.com
Tue May 15 11:36:15 EDT 2012

My first thought would be that he visited the site via a link someone gave
him, not directly by typing in the address.  If so, the link probably had
his info coded in it someplace.  Had he signed up at any vendors at a
conference lately?  They'll have your info there on file and can pass that
along to vendors.

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Brian McCullough <bdmc at buadh-brath.com>wrote:

> Dear TriLUGgers,
>
> I wasn't quite sure what Subject to put on this message, so there it is.
>
> Since we have such an eclectic group, I know that even the strangest
> questions can get answers here.
>

> A friend forwarded me an e-mail message that he had received and I was
> wondering "how they did that?"
>
> It seems to be a case of "drive by shooting."
>

> As far as I know, he visited a web site, just looking around.  Shortly
> afterwards, he received an e-mail message from their sales and marketing
> people, inviting him to get in touch and get more information.
>
> If he had left information on a Contact Form, then there wouldn't be any
> question, but from what I understand, he didn't do that.
>
> I know that I get the IP address of any visitor to a web site that I
> own, but don't remember seeing anything more informative, such as the
> e-mail address that they used to contact him.
>
> They addressed him by name, and seemed to know that he belongs to a
> particular company.  ( Well, actually, they said: "share what your team
> is working on." )
>

> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks,
> Brian