[TriLUG] traceroute works, ping and tcp services don't get through

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri May 18 13:28:32 EDT 2012

On Fri, 18 May 2012, Seva Adari wrote:

> Just a wild guess: May be your router2 is configured to
> block icmp outound!

Sounds possible. My firewall rules started with a standard
set of rules which I downloaded

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Simple_Stateful_Firewall

I remember the router rules allow inbound icmp type 8, but
no other inbound icmp. I don't know why he chose this, but
he did and until I had good reason otherwise, I was going to
follow his example. traceroute is icmp type 11 and
presumably is blocked.

> Once inbound is allowed, it is unusual to block the
> response packets, but I believe it is doable.

you can do anything with iptables ;-\, including stuff you
don't realise

Let me go check it.

Joe