[TriLUG] Building a Mythbox

Tom Eisenmenger teisenmenger at charter.net
Tue Jun 5 07:27:40 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Long story short - my daughter moved to Annapolis taking her DVR with her
(more on that) so I'm thinking it's time to build a replacement.  Part of
this is driven by the fact that out-of-box DVRs are near impossible to come
by these days, probably due to the switch to digital, cable providers
scrambling their channels, and the increasing popularity of streamed TV a la
Roku.

I'm looking to build a MythTV box with the following capabilities:
1) Recording cable television.  Thankfully, Roanoke Rapids (where I live)
still has analog service but the writing is on the wall so I'll need a
Linux-friendly TV tuner card, preferably with dual tuners so that one could
be watched while the other records.
2) Play Blu-Ray - will any internal Blu-Ray player do?  Do any come with
service subscriptions similar to out-of-box Blu-ray players?
3) Burn DVDs - that's the easy one, I do that now on my notebook (when I've
booted into Ubuntu - hanging my head in shame realizing that I'm typing this
in Windows Live Mail :( )!

Simple, right?  Any tips, suggestions, or caveats are welcome!

Tom