[TriLUG] Home LAMP Server for music & videos

Joseph S. Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 23:10:10 EDT 2012

How much data are we talking about?  Google Drive is pretty great for
that kind of thing, and if 5GB of space isn't enough, you can buy more
space.  They're overdue for their Linux client, but it should be out
sooner or later.  Or there's Dropbox, Share File and a large number of
competitors.

Rather than dedicating a home machine and internet connection, I'd
look at rackspace or EC2.  You can rent a VS there for a little more
than the cost of the electricity to run a dedicated box at home.  A
cloud server has better bandwidth, redundant power and data
connections, backups, etc. too.

Joseph

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Ron Young <ronyoung at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> What software would be recommended for serving up music and videos to a
> select group of friends? My friend is a pretty decent rock musician and
> likes to show some of his original tunes and mixes and videos to his inner
> circle.  The traditional YouTube approach has been obstructive for him at
> times recently.
>
> I proposed a homegrown LAMP server but need to know what to run on a small
> Linux box besides the basics that would be easy for him to upload to and
> then maybe send a link to his friends.
>
> I think he would likely only be sharing these links with 20 or so folks at
> the most.  He would get a domin name and dyndns or some service like that
> and house a small server at home.
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> Ron
>

> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Ron Young
> 919-621-9015
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronhyoung

Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com