[TriLUG] [OT] Time Warner Cable - new modem problems

Daniel Sterling sterling.daniel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 01:40:39 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 1:26 AM, David Burton <ncdave4life at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you can consistently ping the modem, then the problem presumably is not
> with your router, which means it is Time-Warner's problem.

Hmm, pinging the modem's LAN-side IP will tell you if your internal
(home) network is working OK. You'd also want to know if the modem can
talk to the RR network -- for that one needs to ping a box on the
other side of the cable, of course. Assuming a linux box is connected
directly to the modem, the commands William C. and I noted will give
you the first box on that side -- the gateway your cable modem talks
to.

Showing the LAN IP is up while the gateway IP is down would be good
proof there's something wrong that RR needs to address, indeed

-- Dan