[TriLUG] don't understand salt

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Jun 9 08:37:02 EDT 2012

Following the recent linkedin passwd database debacle, I did
what I thought was deleting my linkedin account (I've had it
for 6mo and haven't found any use for it). A friend then
reminded me that nothing on the web is ever deleted and I
realised that I'd only closed the account, only making it
inaccessible to me.

I understand that salting a passwd makes brute force
cracking more difficult. However (AFAIK) to authenticate a
user, the computer has to know the original salt. The salt
would have to be kept securely. Where is it kept in the unix
passwd/shadow system?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_%28cryptography%29

says

"

In a typical usage for password authentication, the salt is
stored along with the output of the one-way function,
sometimes along with the number of iterations to be used in
generating the output (for key stretching).

"

This would indicate that the salt is in shadow. So if the
attacker gets shadow, they have the salt too.

What don't I understand?

Thanks Joe