[TriLUG] don't understand salt

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Mon Jun 11 14:51:45 EDT 2012

+1 - You should give a talk about this Igor. I found this thread very informative.

On 06/11/2012 01:04 PM, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Igor Partola <igor at igorpartola.com> wrote:
>> Glad to help out. I am honestly not an expert. That email is pretty much
>> all I know on the subject. I am sure someone else can speak much more about
>> this and related topics such as how to find good hash functions, how to
>> tune the work factor, etc.
> I have met people who use bluster to mask ignorance. Your statements
> on the limits of your understanding inspire more confidence, not less.
> That is, I'm inclined to trust you and your earlier (very clear and
> cogent) email over an arbitrary stranger who claims to be a an expert
> on these issues unless there's compelling support to their claim of
> expertise.
>
>> Not that I don't love doing talks like this, but people probably shouldn't
>> trust my advice on the subject of security.
> The great thing is that there are tons of resources out there that
> people can use to cross-check what you've said. For example, this
> article is relevant:
>
> http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2254400&ref=fullrss
>
> If you were to decide to give a talk on this topic, I'm sure we could
> make sure you had enough lead time to prepare and support to give the
> talk at the level you'd want to see it given.
>
> Cheers,

"I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we
don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that."
  - Thomas Edison, in conversation with Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone, 1931

David P. Both

David P. Both, RHCE
Millennium Technology Consulting LLC
919-389-8678

dboth at millennium-technology.com

www.millennium-technology.com
www.databook.bz - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both