[TriLUG] / is /dev/root and not /dev/sda?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Jun 12 18:06:27 EDT 2012

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

I've been plumbing the output of google on this. I've found

o it's completely normal

o if you don't understand it, you shouldn't be on this group

o I don't get this output on my machine.

o there are many people mystified by why / is now /dev/root

o you can fix it with the attached patch (which I didn't
see, perhaps because I was a guest on that forum)

This only other clue I have is that udev may be involved

~# dir /dev/root
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jun 12 20:04 /dev/root -> sda3

I could rewrite my scripts to handle the special case of
/dev/root, but this seems completely stupid

Joe