[TriLUG] LUKS and booting

Brian McCullough bdmc at buadh-brath.com
Tue Jun 19 14:55:06 EDT 2012

As a relative newcomer to LUKS, I am still exploring ways and means.

For instance, I have a machine in which I have done a "whole disk
encryption," except for the boot partition.

On that machine, I have, serially, installed two different variants of
Ubuntu 12.04.

Both were successful and would boot into the encrypted disk after
installation.  They also both use the same kernel and initrd files, as
far as I can tell.

However, if I put entries for both into my grub.cfg file, referring to
the kernel and initrd files, and referring to the appropriate root for
each, only one will boot, because only one will "unlock" the needed LVM
space.

Where is the "magic?"  Presumably it must be in Grub, but what am I
missing?

Thanks,
Brian