[TriLUG] copying files

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Jun 21 12:32:47 EDT 2012

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 02:37:28 -0700 (PDT), Joseph Mack NA3T said:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 19 Jun 2012, David Both wrote:
> >
> >> All I am doing is suggesting you try it. What do you have to lose?
>
> I thought rsync was more difficult to use than it is. In the
> section on "how it works"
>
> http://everythinglinux.org/rsync/
>
> you need an rsyncd running at the other end
>
> As it turns out it takes about 75 secs for rsync to sync up
> the two ends before it starts copying. cp -auv --parents or
> Jeff's cpio are faster.

Hey Joe,

Check out this badboy:

http://www.psc.edu/index.php/hpn-ssh

https://launchpad.net/~w-rouesnel/+archive/openssh-hpn

Up to 20x faster transfer than normal SSH. This would rock whether
you're doing rsync over ssh, or ssh mount, or scp, or pretty much
anything involving SSH. I haven't tried it -- I just heard about it a
few minutes ago.

And of course, if your bottleneck turns out to be disk access at either
end, or CPU at either end, or a slow wire, this won't help you. But if
you're transferring between two robust machines connected by Gigabit
Ethernet, who knows how fast it would go!

I'm probably going to try this in the next few days.

Thanks

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt