[TriLUG] Linux Hardware Solution

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Thu Jun 21 12:33:10 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Alan Sterger <asterger at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Looking for a small Linux hardware solution to run OpenFiler or FreeNAS.
>  Any suggestions?
>
> I'd like it to incorporate Gigabit NIC and/or a USB 3.0 port.  Additionally,
> fanless might be a plus.  If nothing comes to mind, can you suggest some
> search terms?

Alan, this is probably not what you are looking for, but others
reading this thread might find the following info useful...

ArchLinux|ARM had a table at the June 2012 South East Linux Fest.  On
display were a series of very capable consumer embedded devices,
including some very nice NAS devices.  Most had gigabit networking,
external SATA, and I think some might have USB 3.0, etc.
  http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms

I particularly liked specs of the Seagate GoFlex Net device ($100)
with dual removable hard drives:
  http://www.seagate.com/home-entertainment/media-sharing-devices/goflex-net/

Bill