[TriLUG] Linux Hardware Solution

Alan Sterger asterger at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 21 12:41:41 EDT 2012

Thanks Carl.

Guess the devil is in the details.  I backup 3 SOHO computers to a
Fantom Drive Raid0 USB 3.0 connected to a Linksys E3000 USB 2.0 port.
It takes 13:15 hours to backup 166GB of data via USB 2.0 to the NTFS
formatted drive.  The software, Acronis True Image 2012, handles image
backups to Ext2/3, but cherry-picking files from a mounted drive will
only work with NTFS.  Acronis also supports NAS, FTP, SMB...

So my thinking was to purchase/build one of those small (sexy) Linux
hardware devices supporting USB 3.0 to get near 5GB/sec throughput or at
the least, a Gigabit NAS.  Fanless?  Well, maybe just reduced noise.  It
just can't sound as loud as a Sparc server in a closet.

Cheers,

-- Alan