[TriLUG] copying files

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Jun 22 11:57:29 EDT 2012

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, Alan Porter wrote:

> Ah, so if you're not tired of hearing about rsync yet...

I had no idea that copying files would turn into such a
large topic.

> One thing you'll notice about a large OUTBOUND file
> transfer from your home is that the rest of your internet
> usage is crap while the file transfer is going on.

I'm familiar with this. I'm a bittorrent server for
Slackware and if I let the outbound bandwidth go over
30kBps, no-one can download anything.

> Rsync allows you to cap the bandwidth at a fixed level.
> Say you want to stay just under your 30kBps limit. You
> simply do this:
>
> rsync -avz --bwlimit=28 /home/joe/pr0n/ joe at trilug.org:pr0n-from-home/

I was reading the options for rsync earlier. It's got
everything you could imagine, but I missed --bwlimit.

> And here's the cool thing... you can tweak that bwlimit
> (KBYTES/sec) number by CTRL-C and trying again with a new
> bwlimit. Rsync is smart enough to pick up where it left
> off (OK, it's dumb, it recalculates the differences each
> time, but the end result is the same).

Well, yes it doesn't have to update any files that are
already updated, but still it's very nice.

Joe