[TriLUG] copying files

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Jun 22 14:13:52 EDT 2012

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, Robert Dale wrote:

> Or do it the other way around.  Have the server initiate
> rsync+ssh requests to the clients. Then you could have
> passphrase-less keys of the clients on the server and have
> the clients trust the server's key. Then you don't need
> any access from the client to the server.

I like this. With Bill's way, if the box doesn't phone home,
I don't know if it's lost power, has been run over by a
pick-up truck, is safely on a shelf back in the office, or
is being disassembled in the basement of a TriLUG'er. With
the server having the passwd-less private key and the client
having the public key, it doesn't matter what happens to the
client box.

Bill again

> I like this way too, but it has some inherent problems if
> you don't control how the client box is deployed.  The
> client box might have a dynamic IP address, and it might
> be behind a NAT or firewall.

doh. This is one of my main constraints. The client box must
operate with any IP and behind a NAT box or firewall. You
can't expect it to ever get a SYN packet.

Is there a reverse way of doing the key exchange? ie the
client establishes a tcpip connection and tells the server
to initiate an ssh/rsync connection?

this doesn't work, as the ssh command executed on the server
will start it's own separate connection

client:# ssh server 'rsync -auv /client/foo /server/foo'

maybe I will need a vpn after all. That will allow the
server to connect to the client inside the vpn.

Joe