[TriLUG] OT: thermodynamics of A/C question

Matt Flyer matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Sat Jun 23 07:35:34 EDT 2012

I should have mentioned this in my previous post, but I didn't think
about it.  You can go to this site (it is public)
http://chwreports.unc.edu.  It is the Chilled Water Department reporting
site for UNC.  We use it mostly as a quick and easy interface to get
snapshot performance and charting information without activating the
full SCADA client and for use with phones that don't support Active-X.
For those interested in AC performance and efficiency there is a lot of
information that can be viewed and plotted such as dry bulb, wet bulb,
total cooling tons, kw per ton (efficiency), etc.  There is information
related to each of the four main plants as well as most of the campus
buildings.  If anyone has any questions about it or what any of it
means, feel free to ask.

For example here is a graph showing total campus usage for the last 24
hours relative to dry bulb and wet bulb temperature.
http://chwreports.unc.edu/pic2.php?time=1340450882&bldg[]=2654&bldg[]=2653&bldg[]=2533&timedate=2012/06/23%2007:26:26&interval=900&period=86400&dateForm=YYYY/MM/DD&source=tomkins

You can see how even as the dry bulb temperature went down, the cooling
requirements went up as the wet bulb temperature changed.