[TriLUG] Thinkpad X201 display is always white

Matias D'Ambrosio angasule at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 09:31:23 EDT 2012

Hello,

My X201's display is always white, even during POST, although it goes
off and back on during boot, and I can change the brightness with the
keyboard as well as affect it with xrandr after I boot. The VGA output
works just fine, so it's a problem in the display itself. I was using
the computer when this happened, and it wasn't overheating or moving
(not even the hinges). My guess is that this is a connector or panel
problem, would that be correct?

I have never fixed an LCD display before and I'm pretty sure the
warranty expired (I got it in Q3 or Q4 2010), plus I bought it from
Lenovo Argentina in Buenos Aires so that would be a bit inconvenient
:-) I'm not afraid to poke around a bit (I have disassembled an LCD
before, I just didn't repair it...), but I would like advise from
people with more experience as to the best way to proceed to fix this.

Thanks in advance,
 Matt D'Ambrosio