[TriLUG] Small office router

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Mon Jun 25 12:06:36 EDT 2012

Hi TriLUG,

I am shopping for a new router for my company's office use. Our current
router is really unstable, and we need something that'll work more
reliably. We are looking to support 20-40 active client devices and large
data transfers. There are a few important features we are looking for:

1. 802.11n
2. Gigabit Ethernet
3. IPv6 support with tunneling to HE
4. ip6tables support
5. Plenty of RAM to run things like bind9 and other network services
6. Ability to run multiple SSIDs to support a trusted in-office and a guest
networks.

I am considering a MicroTik router that seems to fit the bill:
http://routerboard.com/RB751G-2HnD. I have never owned a MicroTik device
before, but this seems like a powerful enough device with all the features.

Another option is an ASUS RT-N66U (
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QB1RPY/?tag=codihorr-20), which comes highly
recommended by Jeff Atwood
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/06/because-everyone-still-needs-a-router.html
.

Yet a third option is to get both and run the MicroTik device as the main
router and the ASUS as the WiFi router.

Could anyone recommend which way to go on this?

Thanks,
Igor