[TriLUG] OT: thermodynamics of A/C question

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Jun 25 12:15:11 EDT 2012

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012, Thomas Gardner wrote:

> I've been doing the same thing (two box fans blowing out
> from two fairly centrally located windows at night, and
> opening selected windows to get the house cooled down as
> much as possible at night, then closing everything up at
> sun-up).

This worked till 2 days ago. When I opened the windows and
turned on the fan all I did was increase the internal
humidity from 50-75%. Since pulling water out of house air
uses power without cooling the air, I've kept the house shut
for the last two nights.

> Comparing electric bills makes it all worth it.
> I think I paid something like $50 last month,

but the temp for May didn't go above 80deg even once (I
think); summer has been late this year

> I've also been doing the other thing Joe initially
> suggested for a couple years in my new shop (programmable
> thermo, set very cool for a half hour before sunrise, and
> hot the rest of the day).

it all sounds reasonable. I'd like some numbers to see if it
saves anything.

> As for other things I've thought of for A/C bill
> reduction, the first one is super-easy:  I'm thinking I
> need to go out in the afternoon and just hose down the
> roof a little.

sounds OK. My roof is a bit high for this. If I spend 30mins
watering the roof and it costs me $20 in time to do this, am
I saving anything?

> Another thing I've wondered about is:  Besides building
> something around my A/C unit (with plenty of airflow, of
> course) to give it some shade, what about using the cold
> water from the city to cool those coils outside?  Run a
> little line out there, rig it up with misting nozzles like
> I remember from my days when I worked in the greenhouse,
> arranged in a ring around the unit so that the mist sprays
> up all around it.  Then use an electric valve to turn it
> on whenever the A/C comes on, and the fan on top of the
> unit will suck all that cool mist over the coils to cool
> them off that much faster.

maybe with your wifi programmable temp sensor.

> Again, the water costs next to nothing, but I'd bet it
> would cool the house down faster, thus the system would
> have to run less for the same thermostat setting.  Then
> again, if you ruin the unit (corrosion in general and
> calcification on the coils being two concerns that come
> immediately to mind), where are all the savings?

I can imagine if the water is a little bit acidic or basic,
the Al coils would dissolve.

> Seems like the thing should be designed to allow water to
> get sucked in, though. After all, they put those things
> out in the whether....

rain water is not the same water that percolates over or
through the ground and sits in a lake

Joe