[TriLUG] OT: thermodynamics of A/C question

Craig Cook cncook001 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 13:30:45 EDT 2012

On the thought of misting your outside unit, this is one option I am following:

http://opensprinkler.com

I own one of these units.

With the current software release this unit connects to google weather and knows the current temperature/weather conditions (based on your zip code/city).

It is possible to identify the outside temperature.  Over a certain temperature open a valve to turn on your misters next to your AC unit.  (I already have some misters at home, waiting to test this feature).

The author is working on a feature like this.  (over a certain temperature give your plants extra watering time, if rain is forecast don't bother watering your garden, etc).

I have not worked out how you could detect if your AC unit was actually on or not.  That would require connecting to your inside HVAC temperature controller.

Another future enhancement to the sprinkler is connecting it to a rain barrel.  If you didn't want to use city water you could use rain water to mist your AC unit.

Craig