[TriLUG] text damage using Intel video

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Tue Jun 26 21:19:22 EDT 2012

Is this video on the CPU chip or is it on the motherboard or a video adapter?

I have had some trouble with the Intel on-chip video, and sometimes the
on-motherboard video as well.

I usually use nVidia graphics adapters for my main workstations. I have not had
any problems with the nVidia cards. For servers and other systems, the Intel
motherboard video usually works well enough to get the system installed and then
the rest is SSH access.

On 06/26/2012 09:04 PM, Alan Porter wrote:

> From what I could tell, it looks like the problem is in some special area of
> graphics memory where the font bitmaps are stored.  I could open up a
> gnome-terminal on the EeePC, and every instance of a particular letter would
> be distorted.  I could resize the font and the letters would look OK.  Resize
> it back and the letters are messed up again.
>
> To me, it seemed as if some driver was overwriting some area of memory and the
> font area happened the be poor victim who lived next door in RAM.
>
> I don't know enough about graphics drivers and the whole X11 stack to know
> whether this makes sense or not.  But it seems plausible and compatible with
> my observations.
>
> Alan

"I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we
don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that."
  - Thomas Edison, in conversation with Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone, 1931

David P. Both

David P. Both, RHCE
Millennium Technology Consulting LLC
919-389-8678

dboth at millennium-technology.com

www.millennium-technology.com
www.databook.bz - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both