[TriLUG] High altitude (nearspace) balloon launch this Saturday, June 30 at 11:30am

R Radford rradford at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 27 15:45:30 EDT 2012

Okay, this is the *third* attempt to send this message, but each keep
getting rejected (first time I sent it from a different, unsubscribed
email address and the second time I used BCC: for the list name), so
hoping all my i's are crossed and my t's dotted (or is that backward?)
for this message to get out this time. Hopefully you will not end up
getting it multiple times... but I am hoping everyone can see it at
least once... ;-)

----------------------------------

Over the last 1.5 years I have been active with the North Carolina
Near Space Research (http://www.ncnearspace.org/)  team putting up
high altitude capsules capable of taking photographs of earth 15-20
miles up.  Our most recent launch was at Maker Faire NC 2012 last
weekend where we reached 87,500' that was tracked from Raleigh to
Raeford using APRS (AK4CH-11).

Next Saturday, June 30, will be Techshop's Open House event
(http://techshop.ws/Upcoming_Events.html?action=detail&id=361) and we
will launch our 8th balloon.  So come out to TechShop and see the new
changes at TechShop (including a nice array of tools), get a tour,
watch the launch, and enjoy a little bit of fun talking to similar
minded people and perhaps you will get your photo taken by one of the
cameras during the launch.

And if you are asking what is Techshop, the best way to describe it is
like a gym membership, but instead of hardware to work out, they have
tools for almost any sort of hobby, including laser cutter/etchers, 3D
printers, CNC milling machines, metal and wood lathes, complete wood
shop, CNC plasma cutter, vinyl cutters, vacuum forming, etc, all
available on a monthly membership fee. Please understand this
'endorsement' is by a user who has enjoyed using their facilities over
the years - I am not, nor have I ever been an employee there, but if
you like tools, you should definitely drop by to see it.