[TriLUG] OT: thermodynamics of A/C question

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Jul 4 07:29:06 EDT 2012

On Wed, 4 Jul 2012, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> But Joe, the condenser unit already has a "radiator" to
> cool the compressed freon: - heat sink, fins to transfer
> the heat to the air, and a large fan, just like in your
> car.  What's the benefit of an extra cycle of water in
> addition to that?

My initial posting was to ask

"if you're moving a fixed number of BTU/day, is it better to
move them when the air is cooler, eg early morning 5am,
rather than running the A/C full blast mid afternoon, when
the outside air is hottest"

The assumption was that the A/C is a Carnot machine and in
the early morning the condenser would be operating at a
lower temperature. From the Carnot cycle efficiency formula,
I expected I'd get 50% more efficiency.

No-one had an answer to this, and none of us know if an A/C
operates at Carnot cycle efficiency (I suspect it doesn't),
but we've had fun discussing other aspects of A/C as a
result.

However if it's more energy efficient to have your condenser
at a lower temperature, then you want your condenser
operating against the lowest temperature heat sink. Air
isn't great for transferring heat. If you had the condenser
in a countercurrent heat exchanger with water, then the
condenser would be operating at air temp, 80-100degF rather
than at 160deg.

> And of course we've already discussed the cooling tower
> systems that commercial A/C's use and the pros/cons of
> those:  they aren't cost-effective for small-scale
> systems.

evaporative cooling has been discussed. A couple of people
have talked about sprinkler systems to cool the condenser in
home A/Cs, so some people think it can be scaled down.
No-one has shown that evaporative cooling can't be scaled
down. It might be true, but I haven't seen any numbers
showing it. Whenever someone says "it can't be done" and has
no numbers or proof, I assume they just don't want to do
bother doing it and are making excuses.

> To get back to the spirit of the thread however, another
> easy to take action you can do to improve your condenser's
> efficiency is to simply clean the fins, so that they can
> transfer heat between the freon and air more efficiently.
> See for example this link:
> http://blog.srmi.biz/energy-saving-tips/residential-air-conditioning-aircon-ac/cleaning-condenser-coils/
> .

they tell you that the fins are dirty even if they look
clean. Strike 1. They don't have numbers for effectiveness
($, efficiency) of their suggestion. Strike 2. I expect this
is an infomercial flogging their books.

Joe