[TriLUG] OT: thermodynamics of A/C question

Matt Flyer matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Wed Jul 4 10:03:59 EDT 2012

Last Friday when it was 100+ I noticed that my upstairs unit was having
trouble keeping up with the load.  The thermostat was set at 77F and the
temperature was 80F.  I went outside and used the hose to wash off the
condenser.  Before doing so, you could feel hot air coming out of it.  I
proceeded to hose down the coils for a while with a mist, keeping them
wet as they would evaporate and dry quickly.  It didn't take long for
the air coming out of the condenser to become cool.  I checked the
upstairs temperature again about an hour or so later and it had managed
to recover back to 77F.

Then on Saturday, which was equally hot, I wet the condenser a few times
during the heat of the day.  The unit had no trouble keeping up and
maintaining 77F.