[TriLUG] Questions about using Linux virtualization

Paul Boyle boyle at ncsu.edu
Fri Jul 13 16:39:28 EDT 2012

Hi Alan,

On 7/13/12, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:

> DD-ing your physical partitions to VM disk images is a good way to go.
> Sometimes, I will boot the VM with a live CD and do the copy from within
> that virtual environment.

If the legacy Linux system has several partitions, can one dd across
the partitions to one big VM partition, or should the VM partitions
match exactly the legacy filesystem layout?

> I have had good luck with Windows 98, medium luck with Windows XP, no
> luck with Windows 7.  Windows tends to be very picky about having its
> entire hardware moved out from under it (as in, changing from using a
> physical Dell box with brand X hard drive and brand Y ethernet to a
> virtual machine with completely different virtualized devices).

Thanks for that info.

> Linux should "just work"... it is very tolerant of brain transplants...
> or would this be a body transplant??

I think of it as a body transplant, like the regenerated "skin-jobs"
in Battlestar Galactica.  :-)

Regards,

Paul

--