[TriLUG] Off Topic: Don't be a hater. I got your data!

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 15:03:09 EDT 2012

I invented a fashion accessory the other day and I wanted to share it
with the group, since you are the most likely to use it.  I'm selling
mine on Ebay but you can buy it from Bob's Surplus on South Saunders
St in Raleigh if you don't want to buy 10 memory sticks. You may have
10 of your own.  Holds AAA batteries too I found out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221073651974  I
don't really expect it to sell, but I wanted to put out the idea in a
spectacular way and this was the best I could come up with.  I asked
ThinkGeek if they wanted to put it on their holiday item list.  It's
after Shark Week, you know.

I had a great idea the other day.  Most people only need one memory
stick, but when a computer is broken, the person that fixes it may
need 5 or 6 memory sticks.  And if they are an analyst, engineer or
scientist and need to keep their data close to them, they might need
10 or 20 memory sticks.  Some are kept in fanny packs or organizers,
or even worn around the neck on a lanyard.

But the fashion accessory that every geek on the move needs is a
Memory Stick Bandoleer.  It would make a great holiday or birthday
gift for that special someone in your life, and can be worn as a belt
where you can clip your phone or other accessories.  Let the haters
hate; you have all their data!

Non-techie reasons you need this belt:  It looks cool and makes you
feel like Batman or Roy Rodgers.  Put your favourite tv shows and
music on the belt.  Use it at trade shows to pass out 2GB sticks with
your power point slides on it.  Looks great on men or women.
Purposeful webbing with elastic to fit most memory sticks.  When the
front desk security professional asks you why you forgot your badge,
you can tell him you don't need no stinking badges. (Warning: do not
do this.  A security professional may perceive the bandoleer as a...
well, as a bandoleer and it may cause undue stress and unexpected
consequences)

Techie reasons you need this belt:  You can hold all your operating
systems and bootable ISO tools, plus your favourite scripts, programs
and data.  Keeping it literally close to your chest.  For the super
desktop engineer it's convenient to have Lion, Windows98, XP, 7 and
the beta version of 8, Ubuntu, Fedora and 32 and 64 bit versions of
each.  And a stick with your tunes, another with antivirus and adware
blockers, all your PST files and DOD grade disk erasers.  Scientists
can keep their old Fortran code and Perl scripts, astronomical,
quantum particle or genomic data from today's findings. Film makers
can store raw and processed data and metadata. And the truly
adventurous can set USB sticks up in RAID 5 on a USB hub.

Specs: 2 inch webbing 48" long with sturdy plastic hasp.  26 memory
stick sleeves.  10 new  Centon DataStick Pro 8GB USB memory sticks,
Linux, Windows and Mac compatible.  Removed from packaging,
packaging available/included.

Caviats: These USB sticks are brand new, but I cannot personally
warenty them.  That is left to the manufacturer Centon.  Also use
care in the context that you wear the Bandoleer.  There are places
where brandishing that much data is in poor taste and may make
others nervous.  Treat it the same way you would treat a toy pistol or prop
rifle.