[TriLUG] Introducing Raleigh's first open-source radio station!

Mark Turner jmarkturner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 17:09:38 EDT 2012

Hey folks,

I thought you might be interested in a little community project I've
been helping out with: Little Raleigh Radio. LRR is an organization
building downtown Raleigh's first low power FM (LPFM) radio station,
with an expected reach of the Beltline and a bit beyond.

Of particular interest to this crowd is that the station will be running
ENTIRELY on open-source software! Among this:

- CentOS server
- Rivendell open-source radio automation software
- JACK-audio-connection-kit
- JackEQ signal processing
- FreeNX remote desktop software
- darkice encoders
- Icecast2 streaming server
- Wordpress, MediaWiki, Apache, MySQL, yadda, yadda, yadda...

This is a community-based effort. It's a community-owned, community-run,
and community-funded station, much like our sister station in Carrboro,
WCOM-LPFM. The station isn't yet on the air (the FCC hasn't reopened its
LPFM licensing window yet) but intends to debut its Internet stream on
August 16th.

LRR will be hosting a Kickstarter party tonight from 6 to 9 PM at
Designbox in downtown Raleigh. Come meet the staff and learn more about
the station! You can find out more at http://www.littleraleighradio.org
or donate via Kickstarter if you choose at http://kck.st/NCqkbf

I hope to see you tonight at Designbox, 307 W. Martin Street in downtown
Raleigh. Call 919-834-3552 if you need help finding it!
https://www.designbox.us/

Cheers,
Mark
LRR chief geek