[TriLUG] Remote Power Control

Ron Young ronyoung at nc.rr.com
Sun Jul 29 20:51:43 EDT 2012

Steve,

I agree completely that powering down the machines by shutting off the
juice is a bad thing.  My plan would be to normally do a shutdown when I am
finished remotely.  However, I have one machine that needs work (or
replacement) that currently hangs once in a while and I was hoping for a
plan B ;>)

The issues seems go be boiling down to the ability to remotely start up my
linux box with WOL as I can start everything else up that I need from
there.  Absolutely no success so far getting magic packets past my Linksys
E3000 router however.  Unless there is someone who knows how to do that, I
am looking for another router with wireless g/n that will run one of the
OSS router packages like Tomato.  All of the procedures I have found so far
via googling have not yielded positive results with my router.

Regards,

Ron Young
919-621-9015
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronhyoung

Little tiny dreams require little tiny thoughts and little tiny steps.
Great big dreams require great big thoughts and little tiny steps.
*Kosh*: The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles
to vote.