[TriLUG] Remote Power Control

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Jul 30 08:34:36 EDT 2012

In my mind, these are the big vendors for remote power switches, in my
order of preference, based on having deployed hundreds of each and
supported them for years:
1) Servertech
2) Cyclades (now Avocent)
3) APC
4) Baytech (based near Louisiana, had lots of capacity issues after
Katrina, mostly bounced back now as far as I know).

Some of the main advantages of the Servertech are that it has better
support for SSH auth, even pubkey, and has a marginally more
scripting-friendly interface.  Servertech is also often cheaper than
APC or Avocent for comparable units.  Note that my understanding of
cost is after negotiating w/ the companies on ridiculous volume, it
may not be as true at retail.

On the flip side, if you're using Avocent or Baytech serial
controllers, you might get marginally easier integration with remote
serial and power.  Specifically, the ability to associate a power plug
with a serial port, and powercycle it while looking at the remote
serial console w/o navigating a separate menu.  Avocent has some
ability to control the Servertech strips in the same way.  I haven't
used these features as much but I mention there existence as it can be
handy if you only have a couple of the devices.

Good luck!
Aaron S. Joyner