[TriLUG] Email: Character Encoding

Alan Sterger asterger at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 30 12:59:21 EDT 2012

Listers:

What is the most "compatible" email character encoding scheme?

My assumption for compatibility is the encoding scheme needs to be a
super-set of what I'm currently using or a super-set of something else.
Currently my Thunderbird client is using Western fonts with Character
Encoding as "Western (ISO-8859-1)" for both Incoming and Outgoing email.

I ask as an email in yesterday's TriLug digest from Crist?bal Palmer
eluded to a lack of support for utf8.  Have seen Mr Palmer's posts
before, but assumed the display of his first name was the result of a
unique signature.  Also have occasional display issues between the
wife's Outlook email and Thunderbird.  In the old days, ISP/email
vendors munged anything that wasn't US ACSII 7.  Is that still the case?

I'm curious if I'm using an optimum Thunderbird character encoding.

What are you thoughts, recommendations?

Cheers,

-- Alan Sterger