[TriLUG] Email: Character Encoding

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Mon Jul 30 21:44:57 EDT 2012

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:06:45 -0400
"Matias D'Ambrosio" <angasule at gmail.com> wrote:
There is no acute accent on the i here, but there is down below.

> You think you have a problem? At least you can type it without the
> accent! I have broken plenty of websites, had to guess my own name
> (sometimes I have a middle initial), and the worst of it is, the
> apostrophe is common in both Italian and Irish last names (not to
> mention a staple of English orthography), so you'd think it would be
> OK to use it...
>
> Very annoyed,
>  Matías D'Ambrosio
>
> PS: I'd love to look at the stats on almost-correct names, if they
> existed.

Matías,

Since you have an apostrophe in your name, is it incorrect if I use
Unicode point 2019, a.k.a. right single quotation mark (i.e.
D’Ambrosio)? I rarely use the ASCII quotation symbols anymore, and I
wanted to make sure I’m not offending you (or other apostrophe named
people).

Jack