[TriLUG] Griping about Time-Warner outage

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 03:32:15 EDT 2012

This is just "venting" . . .

I just sent the following complaint to time-warner / roadrunner via their
web form <https://help.rr.com/hmslogic/rrmail.aspx>:

Around 2:50 a.m. today, I lost my Internet connectivity.  I've been waiting
on hold for tech support for over a half-hour.

While waiting, I investigated further, and it turns out that what happened
is that BOTH of your nameservers (as provided by your DHCP server) stopped
responding: 209.18.47.61 and 209.18.47.62.

Other time-warner roadrunner nameservers still work, such as 24.25.5.52 and
24.25.4.107, so I've temporarily worked around the problem by setting my
router to use those nameservers.

But YOU NEED TO FIX THIS!

The whole point of always having TWO nameservers is so that if one goes
down the other will still be there.  But you're obviously using two
nameservers at the SAME physical location, which caused them BOTH to go
down at the same time.

That's a big mistake!

What's more, even after your nameservers had been down for 10 or 15
minutes, when I refreshed my IP, and even when I power-cycled my
cablemodem, I got the SAME (non-functioning) nameservers from your DHCP
server.  Obviously, you SHOULD be monitoring them, and when they go down
you should adjust the DHCP-provided nameserver info to provide working
nameservers.

Please let me know when you have fixed these issues!