[TriLUG] OT - need a good local place to shred a lot of documentsin Durham

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Wed Aug 8 16:02:13 EDT 2012

On 8/8/2012 3:30 PM, Jeremy Davis wrote:
> The problem with burning paper in a burn barrel is it does not burn without
> continous stirring. It can take a very long laborious time to burn a small
> amount.

> So the Arduino/Raspberry Pi project needs to periodically feed the fire a
> few sheets at a time into the barrel. Might be able to integrate with
> OpenCV to identify how well the fire is doing to determine the optimum time
> to feed a few more sheets.
>
> It might be easier to feed into an old gas grill a few sheets at a time.
> Then no one calls the law thinking it is a burn barrel.

Last weekend I saw a demo of a laser wood-carving CNC unit. Couple that with an software controller
and a sheet feeder from an old printer and we could laser-cut stacks of pages into randomly shaped
chads. Probably not very efficient, but we should be able to deter all but the most determined
criminals from putting those pieces back together :>

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services