[TriLUG] BlueTooth dongle purchase

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Aug 10 10:34:14 EDT 2012

For the BlueTooth w/s on 15 Sep

http://trilug.org/2012-09-bluetooth

participants can purchase a bluetooth dongle for about $40
(link on announcment page).

Looking into this, there's a UD100 and a UD100-G03

http://www.neteon.net/products/serial/serial-to-wireless/bluetooth-serial-adapter/accessories/parani-ud100.html

>From the specs and photos, they look identical. I expect
none of us on this list know the difference. I've asked Bill
and Alan to see if the presenter can tell us.

The device has a range of 300m. There is a R-SMA connector
on the device. The external antennae available are a 5dbi
dipole for <$10 and a 9dbi patch for $54. Bang for buck the
5dbi dipole seems worth having.

I've also asked Bill and Alan to see what the presenter
thinks of the antennas.

The presenter gave a talk at CarolinaCon this year. I
remember the BlueTooth talk as the best technical talk. At
the time I thought this is too bad, since I don't use
BlueTooth. The reason I don't use BlueTooth is because I
couldn't get it working in Linux a couple of years ago,
while it worked out of the box with Windows. As the speaker
at CarolinaCon described, the problem I had was that I only
had about half of the code needed to get BlueTooth working,
and the speaker described the considerable trouble he had to
locate the required code from disparate sources, and get it
to work for himself.

I've asked Bill and Alan to see if they can get a list of
the require code and install instructions, from the speaker,
before the talk/w-s, so we're not starting from 0 when we
arrive with our dongles, and have to sort everything out on
the day. I'd rather have something working before I arrive,
than just appear with my box of bits, as they were delivered
by FedEx.

Joe