[TriLUG] Fwd: Organize a Debian Birthday party in your city

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Aug 14 19:53:54 EDT 2012

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Bill Farrow wrote:

> and I made it through the glibc transition in 1998.
> Whew.

Congratulationns. I didn't. I followed the pages and pages
of instructions, which didn't tell you what you were doing
or how to check if you were doing it right. You just had to
hope that you hadn't made a mistake. I couldn't see why the
transition had to be that complicated, or so badly explained
(I still don't see it).

I only had one machine and after following the instructions,
it wouldn't complete booting. I don't know what I did for
backups back then. It would have had to be floppies. I
restored and stayed with libc-5 for quite a while. I needed
a working machine more than I needed glibc.

Joe