[TriLUG] Fwd: Organize a Debian Birthday party in your city

Paul Boyle boyle at ncsu.edu
Tue Aug 14 21:13:34 EDT 2012

My first Linux download was the SLS distribution based on kernel version
0.99pl4 (maybe SLS 1.0?).  I don't remember the exact year; probably 1993
or 1994.  I remember staying up all night downloading the floppy disk
sets at approximately 1 Kb/sec.  It booted OK.  I ported a bunch of
crystallographic (scientific) software using f2c and gcc.  I was sold, and
have used Linux for my scientific (and other) computing needs ever since.

I wrote this http://xray.chem.ncsu.edu/linux.cryst.html in 1994 to
encourage other crystallographers to start using Linux.

I have to admit I felt great satisfaction in those early days customizing
the configuration of my kernels, compiling and booting them. Never compiled
a kernel which didn't boot.  :-)
Paul