[TriLUG] 4TB GPT Disk fails to Mount with Tomato 2.6.22.19 Kernel

Thomas Gardner tmg at pobox.com
Wed Aug 15 12:41:37 EDT 2012

Remember, he's trying to do this with a router that has a minimalist
Linux (think busybox) burned into a teeny-tiny bit of flash.  Your
options are pretty limited, here.

Alan, you originally said you'd be willing to pay someone to help
rebuild an image that you can flash onto your router that will work.
I think you might not be seeing the forest through the trees, here.
It would be a LOT cheaper and easier to just go and buy a tiny little
'puter (like a Raspberry for about $50, or maybe something like a
SheevaPlug for about $100 if you want a little more horsepower and
Gbit Ethernet) follow some easy instructions, plug your disks into
that, then plug the Ethernet from that into your router.  You should
have all the flexibility you'll ever need with that, and these devices
are so small (and fanless, and use very little power) you'll hardly
even know that it's there, once you have it all working.

I think you realize by now that paying someone to spend a day or
two fooling around with this, which it seems is probably about what
this would take, since no one seems to have the specific expertise
for which you're looking, would cost you a LOT more than that.
I suspect you also realize by now that it's also a lot less certain
to get the result you want.  Even if you had to go out and buy a new
router in addition because you're out of ports on your current one,
it's looking like that would still be a LOT cheaper than your original
proposal of paying someone to help you.

You say you want this extra space for backups.  I don't know what
you're backing up, but if there could ever be any sensitive information
on there (like banking details buried in your web browser's history
and whatnot), you have to consider that such little systems are
favorite targets for thieves.  They see something like that, and
they know it's a backup system, so they'll grab it hoping there
is something there they can use to steal your identity (or just
sell to someone else to do the same, or even just hold for ransom).
Therefore, you might want to consider encrypting those disks, too.
That will also be a lot easier if you use a separate device running
a modern mainstream distribution plugged into the network rather
than trying to make your Tomato router do that.

Sometimes, just giving up on a particular idea really is a reasonable
option.  Trust me.  I come up with so many boneheaded ideas that I
have to do it all the time.  :-)  Not that this was a boneheaded idea,
no, I'm not saying that.  Certainly it was worth a try.  Don't worry,
you'll still have your router, and you can still make it do other
cool tricks, but maybe teaching it this particular trick might be
more work than it's worth.

BTW, I wasn't able to turn up anything of value to you in my Googlings
on the subject.  Sorry.

$0.02,
tg.