[TriLUG] VOIP soft phone help.

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Aug 18 14:43:32 EDT 2012

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012, Alan Porter wrote:

> This almost sounds like an application for walkie talkies with VOX.

I drooled about VOX when I was a kid, never thinking I'd
never have time to to build it. Then 20yrs later, due to
transistors, printed circuits and economies of scale, you
could buy a handheld with VOX. I thought I'd died and gone
to heaven. It took about 10mins to find that when it worked
perfectly, it was useless. You'd only have to say "hmm" to
yourself, or scratch your face and the transmitter would be
on for the next 30secs. If when you were actually
transmitting, you paused to think, the transmitter would
drop out without you indicating to the other person that you
were handing it over to them. When you're finished your
over, you can't just hand over to the other guy, you have to
wait for your machine to time out. You can tell a person
with VOX - they don't pause between sentences and keep
talking. They sound like they have someone with a gun at
their head that will go off if they stop talking.

You want something that turns the transmitter on when you
want it to go on and turns it off when you want it to go
off. VOX turns the transmitter on when there's noise and off
when there's no noise. VOX is not what you want. What you
want is a mike switch. It's already been invented.

When automatic light switches arrived, I installed one in my
study. If I was working without standing up and moving
around for 5mins, the lights would go off. I'd have to wave
my hands for about 30sec before the lights would come on.
I'd have to do the same thing 5 mins later. I pulled it out
and replaced it with a regular switch that turns the lights
on when I want them on and turns them off when I want them
off.

Joe