[TriLUG] VOIP soft phone help.

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Aug 18 21:56:37 EDT 2012

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012, Thomas Gardner wrote:

> Well, it would also kinda defeat the purpose.  Really, all
> the microphones kinda have to be live in this application.
> Unless what you mean is that the first one to pick up up a
> sound manages to mute the others.

yes, multitasking by microphone rather than process.

> That sounds like it would be a viable solution, but that's
> kinda why I was writing to this list.  I was hoping
> someone on the list might know of some SW that can do that
> fairly easily.

long distance phone calls used to be this way - they were
simplex and the person who spoke the loudest got the
transmit and muted the other person. Now long distance
within the US appears to be all duplex.

I expect you're going to have to write some code here.

> I always thought that noise cancellation basically only
> canceled out constant droning type noise (like a machine
> or fans or an engine and the like).

that's where it's used but it's because rotating things make
a lot of noise not because they rotate.

> I thought whatever changed pitch a lot and quickly (like
> music and speech and whatnot), it left alone.  Is that not
> how that works?

no the speaker in the headset generates the anti pressure
wave arriving at the mike on the outside of the headset. The
loud sound doesn't have to be a single tone. (The external
mike can't pick up any sound from the internal speaker
either).

> It sure would be nice to feed in a ``not this'' signal and all
> microphones would find a way to filter it out.  It seems like an
> unlikely feature, though.  I wasn't holding out much hope for that
> one.

presumably you could put a mike next to the TV and add the
-ve of it to the mike of interest, but I expect this is
going to be a lot of work.

I take it you only want to hear the voice coming over the
system, only when someone speaks, rather than hearing the TV
all the time.

Joe