[TriLUG] Raspberry Pi USB hub

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Mon Sep 3 20:56:56 EDT 2012

TriLUG,

I am am expecting my Raspberry Pi board to arrive soon and am starting to
gather the necessary peripherals. One of the things I am looking at is
powered USB hubs. I am wondering about two specific things. First, has
anyone seen a case for sale that comes with a built-in USB hub? Ideally, it
would also have a single power cable for both the hub and the RPi board.

Alternatively, if I get a separate hub, would it be possible to power the
RPi board from one of the ports off the hub? In other words, the upstream
port of the hub would be plugged into one of the two on-board ports of the
RPi and one of the downstream ports of the hub would be connected to the
power input of the RPi via an A to micro USB connector. Has anyone seen or
done this or can anyone say that this will not work?

Thanks,
Igor